Monday, August 6, 2007

"Slow, Slow, Catch the Monkey"

Sorry for being flakey! Somewhere over the last few days I got busy. I swear... last Thursday I blinked and all of a sudden... here I am on Monday! Craziness...

Saturday I hooked up with fellow Eugenian and triathlete Scott D for an early morning 2 hour ride. I couldn't believe how chilly it was! I realized on the way to meet him that this was the first ride of any significance that I'd done WITH anyone. I don't know if that's unusual or not. But I was thinking about it... and it occurred to me that I really really REALLY enjoy those long rides on my own. It's just a great time to sit quietly in your own head and listen. ANYWAY... Scott took me out Loraine Hwy and onto some roads, and some hills, that I'd never ridden b4. Here's the stats:
  • 2 hours
  • 32.6 miles
  • Avg Spd: 16.4
  • Avg HR: 137
Needless to say.... we didn't go out and hammer but there were some fairly significant hills thrown in there. We had a good time chattin it up about tri stuff. This is his first full season in the sport as well so we had a lot to talk about. I didn't realize that the guy was OLD! Bah ha ha... (joking Scott). Seriously though, he's 48... and the dude is FIT as all get-out! Anywho... great ride, great conversation! THANKS Scott!

That afternoon I headed over to Amazon for a swim... here's what THAT looked like:
  • Warm-up: 400m
  • Main set: 8 x 50m drills on 10 seconds rest/15 x 100m tempo on 15 seconds rest/600m pull
  • Cool-down 200m
Pretty cool swim workout eh? Felt spiffy... yet still no faster! I NEED to get my fanny into a masters swim group so someone can show me what I can be doing better!

Yesterday was a SLOW 1 hour run! I mean SLOW! Here's the thing... I really don't have an exact read on what my HR zones are.... I have a general idea... but I don't have it down to a science. I feel like my HR is a bit high... especially during a run. As a result, I'm ATTEMPTING to re-establish a larger aerobic base. Ideally I'd really like to haul A** and keep my HR down in the 140s.... but that takes time and patience... which I lack when it comes to working out. You HAVE TO GO SLOW NOW SO YOU CAN GO FAST LATER! So.... I ran a pretty hilly 60 minutes and covered just under 7 miles... it was KILLING me to keep in my aerobic zone... but I did it!

Whew... that about covers it! By the way... the title of this post? Yeah... what do YOU think it means? It's a quote from Scott D... I'd love to hear what you think it means!

Breathe....

No comments: