Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Off the PATH!


If I had a coach... he'd/she'd be pissed at me! I was supposed to do some speed work today... but it didn't happen. I had every intension of doing a 1 mile warm-up followed by 26 min at 10k speed, followed by a 1 mile cool-down... but I got down to Ashland, Oregon... on business... and there was Litiah Park... BEGGING me... "Rob... just run a little bit... keep it mellow.... run along the creek and through the trails... take a look around... it'll be fun" So that's what I did! JEAH JEAH!

But just LOOK at the scenery man! Holy COW! You simply canNOT haul ass through stuff like that! Seriously! So what I did instead of hauling ass was to jog for 40 min at a 7:30/mile pace and listened. I listened to the creek. I listened to the wind in the trees. I listened to the birds. I listened to my feet falling on the path. I listened to the hippie-type wannabe actors rehearsing for the Shakespear Festival hosted in Ashland. That's RIGHT... I had a 40 min Zen moment... and i'll hunt you down and kick your ass if you give me crap about it. Uhhh... I mean... ummm... yeah... you shoulda been there... uhhhhh... breathe...
Seriously though. Sometimes ya just gotta run... or bike... or swim... without killing yourself to prepare for your next race. The way I figure... I'm in shape. I'm prepared for my first half IM. Does it really, truly, honestly matter if I train and taper perfectly for this race???? Not really. This is a journey of self for me... not for anyone else. If I hit the wall so hard in the race that I can't get through it... that I have to lie down, throw-up, pee myself, and then curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb... then that freakin ROCKS! That's RIGHT! It ROCKS! You know why? Because most people will never experience what its like to get so beyond yourself that you cease to exhist and you simply ARE. That freakin ROCKS!

Whew... what the hell was THAT!??? Feel free to ridicule me now.

Breathe

No comments: