Wednesday, June 13, 2007

1 1/2 Weeks Till Pac Crest!

I'm not sure what that picture at the right is saying... but I came across it HERE.

Not much to report. Summer is quickly approaching and the school year is echoing its final death rattle. I just can't believe that Lila's going to be a 2nd grader... and Jack will enter the pre-teen attitudinal hell that is 5th grade! I'm REALLY going to have to rememer to breathe! LOTS of baseball happening for all three kids... 2 out of the 3 I coach. This time of year is completely AWSOME! There's just this huge sense of anticipation for summer vacation that everyone feels and the air simply tingles with it! We're all really ready for summer!

In terms of training, this week is fairly intense. I think the idea is that you do a lot of hard work before the week of your taper. The odd thing after my race on Sunday was that I really didn't feel all that fatigued... then Monday came. I was TIRED! Luckily Monday is always a rest/recovery day so I just worked, ate, and rested... good stuff!

Tuesday was swim/bike day. Since the race I've had a nagging strain in my right calf... don't know what that's all about but it hurt enough to make me skip my swim in the morning. HEY! Seemed like a legit excuse at the time. The weather in the afternoon was perfect for a bike so I packed it up and headed out to a little farmy type town called Coburg. Just beyond the town is a straight/flat stretch of road that goes through some nice countryside... perfect for a TT which is what the workout was! Here's the stats:

Warm-up: 10 min
Main Set: 45 min at 40k race pace
Cool-down: 10min
Total Dist Main Set: 15.5 miles
Avg Speed: 21.2
Avg HR: 145

Pretty happy. Considering I'm a bit tired from the race... I thought it went well. My calf felt a little tight the entire time but nothing to worry about... at least I hope. The true litmus test will be during my run today. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

OK! On a different note... If you reply to this post... in your reply... tell me what's important to you! Seriously! All this training and triathlon stuff is totally awesome... but I believe that we need to remind ourselves occationally about what drives us. What makes us smile when we're out there on longer rides... and your mind gets to wander around itself... I'd love to hear...

Breathe...

2 comments:

Kate said...

What makes me smile? What is important to me?

Oh where to begin...

I am so thankful for my health and my ability to go out and do all this triathlon nonsense. =0) I smile on the bike even when it hurts because I work with little (and big) kids everyday who don't have the choice. They are funny, smart, cute, stubborn, and determined but their bodies often will not do what the kiddo wants them to do. It is important for me to help them be as successful as they can and know that somebody loves them.

I could go on and on (maybe I will on my own blog at some point) but the other thing that comes to mind is my family. I am so in love with my husband and we have two Brittany pups who just had their first birthday. We love to spend time with them outside watching them "hunt" fireflies and tear around.

And that is just the beginning. Good question.

Kate said...

P.S. Feel free to add the blog to your site. I love those questions. Thinking about those things makes me happy. =0)