So a couple of things that I've been differently in the last couple of weeks:
- No more training with the iPod. Something that they pounded into my head when I was in the military was that you train like you fight. In military terms that means you make your training as close to actual combat as possible. So I've stopped using my iPod... how many iPods do you see out on the course on race day? ZERO!
- Riding and running on all flats! The Pacific Crest HIM bike course changed to all flats. Actually... the total elevation on the bike course is a net loss.
- Training in the mid-day heat! Whenever possible, I ride and run during the hottest part of the day. Everyone that I've spoken with about Pacific Crest said that it was inhumanely HOT last year.
- Finally... embrace the wind. If I'm used to riding head-first into the wind and maintaining a constant speed... I'll have less to bitch about come race day if its windy!
We last left off with my long Saturday ride! What a kick in the pants that was!
Sunday was a swim/run/family fun day! Here's what the workouts looked like:
- 300 yd warm-up
- 900 yd main set
- Total Time Main Set: 15:00
- 300 yd cool down
- Total Distance: 13.9736 miles
- Total Time: 1:40 min (7:09/mile)
- Avg HR: 158
- Weather: cloudy/muggy
- Rest DAY!
- 3oo m warm-up
- 3 X 400 m on 45 sec rest
- 300m cool down
- Main Set Splits: 6:50, 7:06, 7:05
- 6 mile warmup
- 30 min at 40K race pace
- 6 mile cool down
- Avg HR: 154 BPM
- Avg Speed: 21 mph
- Total Dist Main Set: 10.6 miles
So hopefully things will slow down a bit with work and I'll be able to keep things up to date here in blogland!