Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Resolutions

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions.  As a matter of fact, I rarely come up with one that holds any true significance whatsoever.  They usually run along the lines of: I will not pick my nose.  Or: I will only allow my radio dial's volume to rest on even numbers.  Last Sunday I had a 1.5 hr trainer ride... you know the one... where you have a LOT of time to sit there in your own head and think about "stuff".  It occurred to me that there are at LEAST two things that I'd really like to do better as a husband/dad/employee/human-being.  SO... in front of God and blog-dom... here they are... my New Year's resolutions:
  • Be more "thoughtful" in my reactions.
  • Eliminate "Mumble Cussing"
See... when I was in the military, something that was ground into us as young, malleable (read, "stupid") officers was to make quick decisions.  Right or wrong just make a decision and go with it... DON'T STALL! GO!  That's a really hard habit to break!  Now that I have the time to really think before I react... I'm going to give it an honest to goodness try!

The "mumble cussing"?  Ok... you know how there's times when you're really really PISSED and you want to unleash a torrent of expletives that'll embarrass Andrew Dice Clay but there's other people around including children... so you quietly unleash the torrent under your breath. Well... kids have REALLY good hearing.  Case in point, Tom... my 4 1/2 year old... he was playing with Aggie and she got a bit too rough with him... and that's when it happened.  Tom... under his breath but clearly audible says, "Stupid-ass dog".  I had to run to the bathroom to laugh my fanny off but then I was like, "Holy CRAP!  He learned that from YOU Rob!"  So the "mumbling cussing" has got to stop!

Oh... training?  Yeah.  Today:
  • Run:  4.5 mile, 40 min., 8:43/mile pace, 143 HR!  YAY!  I stayed in the zone! (I was bleeding out my eyes with boredom while doing it... but I did what I was told.  I know Bigun... you told me so)
  • Swim: Warm-up: 400 swim, 300 kick, 300 pull, Main set: 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100, 50, 20 sec rest between intervals, stretching the climb, working the decent, Cool-down: 100 easy swim. Total: 3200 yds.  Kablooey!
Breathe...

3 comments:

Bigun said...

and we predicted, what - a 9 min pace? You went 8:43 - that's hardly boring...you'd fall asleep on my FAST run! Ha!

jameson said...

running at low HR's (zone1/2) is damn hard.. and boring. It's like serving time. I am going through the same thing right now, but can say I am already seeing improvements in HR and Pace. Keep it up!

Oly said...

Mumble cussing, I need to work on that as well.

Bleeding out the eyes? What kind of a coach do you have? Thats sick!

Bleeeeeddd!!! :)