Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Recovery Week!

Monday was a rest day for me. Instead of taking the entire day off, I felt like I needed some sort of pseudo workout to keep myself sane. So I went to the gym in the afternoon, walked on the treadmill, did some weights, some core, LOTS of stretching, then sat in the sauna for a while. Not exactly a workout but it felt really good. I woke up this morning feeling ready to go.

During my recovery weeks... which is about every 4 weeks... the total volume of the workouts decreases but you maintain the same intensity. Basically I get to feel like superman for a week b/c of the fitness I've built over the last 4... and the workouts are shorter! YES!

SO... today was a morning swim and an afternoon bike... and here's how it went:

- 400 yd warm-up (swim, pull, kick, pull)
- 6 X 100 yd sprints on 30 sec rest
- 200 yd cool-down

I averaged a 1:20 split over the 6 intervals which I was fairly happy with. It was odd to be done so quickly! I wasn't in the pool for a very long time at ALL... wierd! Went home and made coffee for the wifey!

This afternoon consisted on some speed work on the bike. I chose to do it on the trainer due to time constraints b/c of coaching Lila's soccer team... worth the sacrifice! So here's what I did:

- 20 min drills/warm-up
- 6 x 1km sprints on 2 min active rest (spinning)
- 10 min cool-down

Legs felt good and strong. I covered each km between 1:15 and 1:20. It's tough to gage if that's good, bad, or indifferent b/c it was done on the trainer. The bonus of riding on the trainer is that my 3 1/2 year old got to blow bubbles at me while I was pumping away! Pretty sweet!

Overall a good day. Feel strong, balanced, and healthy! Running intervals in the am! Can't wait!

Breathe...

No comments: