Saturday, May 31, 2008

Plans...

... are finalizing for my trip down to San Francisco and Escape from Alcatraz on the 8th! A college friend of mine offered up his place for me to stay the night before the race. Me: "How far away is your place from T1?". Him: "Three blocks.". Yeah... no kidding! Can you BELIEVE that??? I'm SO pumped! That makes things unbelievably easy in terms of logistics.

Did you know that the Peony is the state flower of Indiana? Well it is. Did you also know that there was quite a bit of controversy surrounding its selection as said state flower? Neato huh?

Training continues. The big debate for me concerning Alcatraz
has been... road bike or TT bike. I know... facinating huh? Coach Liz recommended that I use a road bike considering the brutal climbs and some of the more technical descents. My friend Eric offered up his Cervelo Carbon Soloist and I JUMPED at it! Got fitted last Friday and have taken it out for a couple of rides... it's beautiful! Handles SO well and climbs like a beast... yes... even with me as its engine. Honestly, I feel a HELL of a lot more confident going into that race on that bike rather than my TT. We'll see though... the proof will be in the pudding!
Took it out for an 80 min super-hilly ride today and it felt great. Liz had me throw in some zone 4 and 5 power intervals. I'm still trying to figure out how to maintain consistent wattage regardless of the terrian... you know... up hill and then down. Eh. It'll come. The geometry on this bike is different enough that my legs felt it today. I followed the ride up with a 25 min race-pace run. Hit the first mile at 6:40 and descended after that... felt like my run is back... which is a relief! Overall... good training day and yet another deposit made in the fitness bank.
My 4 year old son Tom slapped a Speed Racer sticker on my arm warmer before I headed out the door. Yeah. Made me fast. That dude's 5th birthday party is tomorrow! I can't believe it! My baby is growing up! Holy CRAP! Big B-Day party for him tomorrow... and it's gonna ROCK! Literally. We asked him what kind of party he wanted... "Rock n Roll" he says. Done. You can count on some pictures from that little soiree!

Hope you're all healthy, happy, tan, and well read. Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Breathe...

4 comments:

Di said...

did you also know that without ants, peonie blossoms would not be able to open? True.

Happy Birthday to Tom!!

Take plenty of warm clothes to SF. Also, don't forget your thermal swim cap. Swear.

Di said...

duh - peony...I started to write peonies and forgot to correct my spelling! LOL

Nikee Pomper said...

Good Luck this weekend! I'll be in town for biz and hoping to cheer on the racers. Kill it out there!

jameson said...

that bike is SICK! Don't let it down!

Have fun in SF... your'e going to kill it!