Sunday, September 30, 2007

drill, Drill, DRILL!

Soccer season is in full swing here in Eugene! I get to coach my daughter's 2nd grade team and have coached the same group of girls since kindergarten! Look at that INTENSE face! YEAH! You know 2nd grade soccer is EXTREMELY intense and serious... yeah... like... if they don't win... I usually beat them individually with a stick. Bah ha ha! It's been really fun to watch these girls come along and develop their skill and also watch them start to truly understand the game. They kicked some serious butt yesterday so there were no beatings necessary! Good times... good times.

As for me, I got back from Seattle late evening on Friday and got to hang with the family. I have a real love/hate relationship with business trips. REALLY nice to get a break from the daily routine of my husband/daddy duties... but after about a day I really start to miss them. Homecomings are always fun!

After coaching the game yesterday I was finally able to get over to the pool and try out some of the drills that Coach Gina had prescribed for me! I won't bore you with the details but I essentially did a total of 3,500 yds over half of which were technique drills. Ya know what? I had no idea there was so much to think about when you swim! Other than things like, "Gee, I wonder what's for dinner?" Or "Golly, I sure do like steamed spinach." Like Coach Gina said, I tried to concentrate on one thing at a time. It's kind of like meditation... you focus for a little while and then your mind wanders... and then you bring it back into focus. The funny thing for me was that while I was concentrating one specific thing... the rest of my form would go to hell. LOL... eh... oh well... I'll get it. I have a lot of questions for Gina when we meet later this month.

It's pouring rain here today... so I think I'll hop on the trainer for a while!

Breathe...

4 comments:

Mark said...

I understand man...it's a real challenge for me NOT to think about stuff while swimming, and I end up losing count. Then, I punish myself my always using the lower count than what I think it might be. The beatings continue, but I still think about things and lose count...

Anonymous said...

Rob - you're too funny. I totally get losing yourself in a long swim.
I use to sing/hum to my self - to regulate my breathing. It worked to distract myself from how long I had to swim.
KG

Oly said...

It is funny all the things I think about when swimming.

Al said...

If I think too much, I forget to breathe when my head's out of the water and that doesn't work too well. I wonder what good swimmers focus on when they swim...Hmmm maybe I'll think about that the next time I swim. ;)